Guests: Dan Solis and Henning Guldhammer
The one true and perfect model for witnessing is our Lord Jesus Christ. All those who desire to be “incarnational” witnesses, and truly identify with those they want to reach, must look to Jesus to see how it is done. “Then Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people. But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary and scattered like sheep having no shepherd.” Matt 9:35-36
Everywhere that Jesus went He left a trail of happiness behind Him. Many who were confused and despondent caught a glimpse of a new and better life. The blind could see, the deaf could hear, the paralyzed could walk, the mute could talk and sing, and even the dead were raised to life.
A very clear progression of steps may be seen in Christ’s way of working with people. “Christ’s method alone will give true success in reaching the people. The Savior mingled with men as one who desired their good. He showed His sympathy for them, ministered to their needs, and won their confidence. Then He bade them, “Follow Me.” M.H. p.143 His practical example is the model for all of us.
Key Passages and Questions
- Philip the Evangelist — Acts 8:5-8
- What qualities did the deacon Philip possess and develop to prepare himself for evangelistic ministry?
- What methods of witnessing should church members of various occupations be trained to use today?
- Is evangelism just for professionals or can all members participate?
- John Mark – Useful in Ministry — II Tim 4:11
- What circumstances caused Mark to rub shoulders with the leaders of the early Church?
- Despite a poor beginning, what contributions did Mark make to the spread of the gospel?
- How important is it for pastors and other Church leaders to mentor young people?
- Hospitality Ministry — Acts 18:1-3, 24-26
- What spiritual gifts did Aquila and Pricilla possess and use? (Acts 18:24-26, Rom 16:3, I Cor 16:19, II Tim 4:19
- How important are “behind the scene² ministries to the mission of the Church?
- Illustrations: What husband and wife teams are doing effective ministry in the Church today?
- Models for Witnessing — Dan 3:8-18
- How do people become courageous enough to stand up and speak up for God in any and all circumstances?
- Which person we have studied this week inspires you the most to witness, and why?
- Who in your local congregation is providing a good model for witnessing?