- Exodus 34:6 (short form) – A merciful and gracious God
1 John 4:7-16 – God is love
- 1 Cor 13:4-7 – Love is patient, kind…
- Isa. 63:7-9 – God’s gracious deeds for His people
- Deut. 4:29-32 – Rediscovering a gracious God
- 1 Chr. 16:8-12 – David’s song of thanksgiving
- 1. Why is it that Christians want to affirm the goodness of God more than the power of God?
- Examples: Short form of Exodus 34:6
- 1 Corinthians 13 (in contrast to 1 Corinthians 5)
- 2. What is the touchstone for the goodness of God? What or who determines what is good?
- 3. What role does Jesus play in our thinking about the goodness of God?
- 4. If we have a benchmark for the goodness of God, does that enable us to go back and grapple with the tough stuff in Scripture?
- Examples: God’s heavy hand (2 she-bears)
- God’s neglect (god-forsakenness of Psalm 22)
- 5. When believers face the tough stuff in life, the seemingly empty heavens, what enables them to keep on believing?